Monday, September 24, 2007

Ramadan Vampires

So I have these two roommates from Saudi Arabia that are living with me this semester. It's Ramadan, which for those of you who may not know is the holy month in Islam where all adults, who are physically able, are supposed to do a complete fast from sunup to sunset. This means no water, no food, no listening to music, no smoking, no impure thoughts or actions. This is actually pretty hard to do if you are leading a normal life which I know from experience. Why you ask? Because in my spirit of brotherhood and international interest I agreed to do the fast with them.
I was not prepared the first day and had a horrible headache and was completely lethargic. My roommates found this quire humorous. The days since have been better for me and I'm getting used to it over time. I've cheated a few days when it was necessary (or when somebody brought in fresh tamales which I chalked up to unnecessary temptation from the devil) or when I was feeling really bad but mainly my contempt for this whole thing has come from my roommates.
Their solution to the whole Ramadan issue is to sleep as much as possible during daylight hours to avoid any type of discomfort or to have to deal with the temptation of the refrigerator or the excellent products from the Marlboro company of fine tobacco products. So I have taken to calling them vampires.
They rise usually about 30 minutes prior to the Iftar or break fast (even though its dinner time) and complaint about the next time until it's over. The complaining is mainly from my one roommate who I call a number of things, but my two favorites are Elvis and Abu Nome. The Elvis is for his hair and mullet and Abu Nome means father of sleep. He was basically sleeping the day away before Ramadan started so this isn't really a big change for him, it just means he gripes from the time he is awake until the Iftar.
They then stay awake all night, usually eating again at 2 or 3 in the morning, before going to bed around 8 or 9 am.
I'm not sure how they are going to class, which they are, but they seem to feel this is the best way to do it.

I asked the purpose of the fast and they said it was to make you feel like the poor people feel so that you can be more open to their suffering and to be open to God's message to you.
If so I asked what are the poor supposed to feel? They apparently get a special place in heaven as lifetime fasters.

Next: Islam and the covering of the women.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved the video! Saudi Jackass! Let's try to pull that stunt from the hotel bus when we are in Jeddah.